2013/09/05

Waiting for shivers...

From the rush line for "Shivers"...

David Cronenberg was the first feature film director that I saw in the flesh. Several (many!) years ago, I had wandered into the Book City location that was just south of Charles on the east side of Yonge. Cronenberg was doing an in-store there for a book launch and I stood and listened to him talk about the sound design for his most recent film (I'm guessing either Scanners or Videodrome).

Over the years, I've seen him speak at screenings of his own films, at the opening of an exhibition of pieces from his films (c. "Naked Lunch) and introducing a screening of Todd Brownings "Freaks" at a previous TIFF. He's always been an engaging and informative speaker and I'm looking forward to hearing him again.

Continuing with this idea of hearing directors, the first director I saw do a Q&A was Derek Jarman at the Festival of Festivals in 1977. Also a great speaker, he (and the film he presented, "Caravaggio") sparked a brand new interest for me and was a key reason why I've developed this little hobby in September. I saw a number of films over the years and, though he died many years ago, his influence lives on. Tonight I will be seeing Jim Jarmusch's latest film, "Only Lovers Left Alive", starring Tilda Swinton, who was often described as Jarman's muse.

No comments: