2008/09/11

Finding the Right Tone

I saw "The Brothers Bloom" this afternoon, a film that I suspect will get a fair bit of promotion when its theatrical release comes up. Written and directed by Rian Johnston, it's the tale of two brothers (Mark Ruffalo & Adrien Brody) who have had a successful career as con men and are planning one last job, with a young, very eccentric woman (Rachel Weisz) as the "mark".

The film has a very distinctive visual style, full of odd details (floating inter-titles, a one-legged cat, to name a couple). The visuals, music and most of the performances are pitched towards light, whimsical comedy, except for Brody, an actor who doesn't seem wired for happiness.

This was one of those films where the overall consensus was positive, at least based on the laughter I heard during the screening. For me, though, the plot felt a bit too predictable.

A footnote:

After the screening, I walked through the quadrangle to the south of the Ryerson Theatre (a lovely oasis in the middle of the campus). As I walked, I heard a couple discuss this film. He felt it was in his top three; she was inclined to put it in her worst three for the festival.
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

No comments: