2010/09/11

Toronto is a big tent

On the way home on the subway last night, the car filled at St George with dozens of kids and a few adults. The kids were clutching programs and wearing the paraphrenalia of some kind of "wrestlemania" event somewhere downtown. They made quite a contrast to the crowds of people I spent my day with.

Just before I left the office, I was asked what people wore to TIFF. In some respects it depends on how much time people spend going to movies. The "frequent fliers" tend to favour comfort over style, careting their supplies and provisions in canvas bags and back packs.

On the other hand, those who tend to come for one film (these folks are more visibly on evenings and weekends tend to dress up more, even for the screenings in the regular cinemas (I have no direct experience with the Gala crowds; I can only imagine what that might be like!). The tendency here is a hybrid of high school prom and cluvland attire.


--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

1 comment:

Bob said...

I attended a gala once at Roy Thomson Hall. We won the tickets. I can't even remember the film! Although there were many people dressed like it was an awards show, there were all sorts of other people there dressed as you would normally see at a typical TIFF screening. Of course, this was only one gala — perhaps an exception.